March 2014 – Ciao Bella Knitter’s Tote led by Jodie Gordon Lucas
HiKoo Simplicity – 6 (50g) hanks of a solid color. (The original bag used 5 hanks of Color #46 Crimson, but with only inches to spare.)
Schoppel Zauberwolle – 3 (100g) balls of this slowly progressing ombre yarn. (The original bag used Color #1508.)
ALL HiKoo Simplicity - 14 total hanks – 6 (50g) hanks of one color (to be used where Crimson color was used in the original bag), and 8 (50g) hanks of another color (to be used where the gray ombre yarn was used in the original bag).
Additional Notions Needed:
- 3 identical JUL Florentine Hinges (The original bag used CL12-Z.)
- 2, 47 inch (or longer) 3.5 mm (US #4) circular needles (a shorter #4 circular is nice if you object to having a lot of cord slack when working smaller items). Technically, it’s not needed but I certainly liked being able to swap out the cable easily with my addi clicks!
- US #4 dpns may come in handy if you’re making I-cord (you could also purchase cord or use an I-cord machine…you’ll need 8 feet so making it by hand will be tedious!!!!)
- A knit picker
- 2 yards (20 inch wide) sew-in, heavy weight or extra firm interfacing
- 0.5 yards coordinating fabric
- 1 heavy weight, molded, non-separating zipper (not metal) for easier cutting (will be cut to 10 inches)
By Jodie Gordon Lucas
Photos of Ciao Bella Knitter’s Tote
The Ciao Bella KAL is scheduled for 7 weeks, beginning Monday, March 3.
March 3: Make 4 triangles, 4 corners and join to work in the round.
March 10: Make compartment 1 sides and back. Sew the triangles to the corners.
March 17: Make front of compartment 2 and begin pocket.
March 24: Complete pocket, work sides and back of compartment 2.
March 31: Make the strap. Join compartments 1 and 2.
April 7: Finish top, install zipper, and add flap.
April 14: Assemble the bag. Insert interfacing. Make side pockets. Attach closures.